Monday, November 22, 2010

Grandma's Amazing Rolls

My grandma has been making these rolls for as long as I can rememberbefore I was born, I'm sure. They are my absolute favorite rolls. And if you add a little bit of cinnamon and sugar to them, they're my absolute favorite cinnamon rolls. 

Two years ago I asked for the recipe, and I tried to make them. I tried. I really, really tried. I tried so hard I was convinced Grandma lied about the recipe. I just knew my sweet, honest grandmother had lied to me. She didn't want her granddaughter upstaging her baking prowess—you know how grandmas can be. 

Of course, she didn't lie. And truth be told, the recipe isn't that hard. You just can't overwork the dough. I have to set the timer so I don't get carried away. Do that, and you're golden. 

Grandma's Amazing Rolls 
1 ¼ cup scalded milk
1 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 packages or 4 ½ teaspoons yeast 
¼ cup warm water
6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
4 beaten eggs

Combine scalded milk, butter, sugar, and salt. Cool mixture to luke warm. 

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Combine with cool milk mixture. 

Add eggs and ½ of the flour. Beat well. Add enough of remaining flour to make soft dough. 

Turn on lightly floured board and knead until smooth. (This is where I set the timer for about 8 minutes.) Place in warm greased, butter bowl. Brush with melted butter. Cover and let rise in warm place. (I usually warm the oven to 175 degrees, turn it off, and place the bowl inside.) 

After two hours, turn out the bowl on a floured surface. Divide in half and roll out. (My grandma always makes them into crescents, but I'm pretty sure you can shape them into whatever your heart desires.)

Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment